Reporting concerns

If you have a concern about a child:

If any person has knowledge, concerns or suspicions that a child is suffering, has suffered or is likely to be at risk of harm, it is their responsibility to ensure that such concerns are referred to local social services or the police, who have statutory duties and powers to make enquiries and intervene when necessary

You may also contact:


NSPCC 24 hour child protection line: 0808 800 5000

Children’s Commissioner for Wales

If you have a concern about an adult:

Protecting a vulnerable adult should be everyone's paramount concern. You can contact your local social services office or call the Police.

You may also contact:

Age UK: 0800 169 6565

Older Persons Commissioner

Inquiry Office for Wales


Information line: 0800 917 1000

The Social Services and Well-Being (Wales) Act 2014 places a statutory duty on all relevant partners (health, education, etc) of the local authority to refer to the local authority any adult or child who is suffering or at risk of suffering significant harm and reinforces the good practice for any individual or organisation to refer to social services or the police any child who is suffering or at risk of suffering significant harm

Duty to refer

There are other statutory duties to report harm and risk of harm and specifically the duty to refer to the Disclosure and Barring Service for those carrying out regulated activity

Any organisation working with vulnerable groups has a statutory duty to refer an individual to the Disclosure and Barring Service DBS in certain circumstances. This is independent of any responsibilities to report cases of harm or abuse to social services, safeguarding boards or the police.

The Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 sets the legal duty to refer information and also defines what is meant by regulated activity, which is work a barred person cannot do.